Saturday, December 20, 2008

Blogging Ethics

To all my students, colleagues, friends, relatives, and acquaintances,

I will never use my blog to say terrible things about you. I will never attempt to embarrass you, harass you, or attack you publicly this way. I will not start rumors, lie, cheat, or steal from you by using words which demean, humiliate, or defile you personally or your business.

I believe it is a terrible crime for people to use the Internet to attempt to further themselves or their lonely egos by attacking others from their circle of influence. It is unjust, unprofessional, and simply detestable. It is morally and ethically wrong. It does nothing to bring joy and peace to the world, and certainly does not cause anyone to trust or respect the author.

I have not been a victim of this crime, as far as I know. I know that others have been a victim of this terrible injustice. I just want those close to me to know that I will not betray your trust in this way. I respect my God, you, and myself, too much.

No comments: